Foremarke swimming has a fantastic record, and the top swimmers in each age group attend regular squad sessions which run twice weekly through out the year. A number of swimmers represent the school in the annual National IAPS competition, often being placed in the finals. The elite swimmers also have the opportunity to train with the Repton swim squad, under the guidance of the Head coach at Derby City Swimming Club. However, Foremarke has an ethos of swimming for all. Pupils from Reception and into the Prep school have swimming lessons timetabled as part of the PE curriculum and embark upon the following courses with our specialist swimming coach (former GB elite squad member).
- Reception : Water confidence.
- Year 1+2 : Introduction to water skills.
- Year 3 : The emphasis is on continued water confidence and stroke development working towards achieving ASA Distance Awards.
- Year 4 : The emphasis is on developing stroke technique, diving safely, and learning the correct turns. Pupils will build upon their Distance Awards and look towards achieving ASA School Speed Awards.
- Year 5 : The emphasis is on combining key swimming skills and strokes across a range of distances. Pupils will work towards achieving ASA Challenge Awards.
- Year 6 : The emphasis is on understanding how to stay safe in and around water and develop pupils’ personal survival skills.
- Year 7 : Pupils will complete and build on personal survival skills - Awards
- Year 8 : The emphasis is on Lifesaving skills.
In addition some children are invited to attend a session organised and run by our swimming coach, where they can develop and improve upon their water confidence skills and stroke technique.
All school swimming takes place in our own 25m pool from the age of 5 until they leave the School at 13. As well as inviting local clubs and schools to our own gala at Foremarke, we have the use of the fantastic pool and viewing gallery at our senior school, Repton. This is where our annual Senior House Gala is held, enabling children of all abilities to experience competitive swimming, offering a chance for parents to see their sons and daughters in action.