Adventure is so important at Foremarke that curriculum time for Years 5 - 8 is devoted to it in the first full week of each school year. During this the pupils work on independence, team building and leadership.
We work with a number of providers in order to create high quality programs tailored to each year group. We make full use of our inspiring location as well as organising visits to the wild areas of Britain.
As well as developing performance skills, a high priority for our adventure programme is to use the activity or environment to challenge pupils to think about the way they work and their attitude towards it.
Each child has their own individual summit, and we encourage them all to aim towards reaching theirs.
The educational benefits are widely reported and include:
- An improvement in academic achievement
- Providing a bridge to higher order learning
- Developing skills and independence in a widening range of environments
- Making learning more engaging and relevant to young people
- Developing active citizens and stewards of the environment
- Nurturing creativity
- Providing opportunities to take acceptable levels of risk
- Giving young people responsibility for achieving these outcomes and helping them to learn from their successes and failures
- Providing support for many different curriculum areas